Pictures!

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Over The Years

Over five LONG years and about 8 braces later, my curve had gone from 26 degrees to 51 degrees.

By 2015 I was five-foot-six, fourteen years old, and quite tired of my brace, but in December my doctor said the one thing I was waiting to hear: "You are done with your brace because you have stopped growing!"  I was so happy, I danced through the front door and announced it to all of my family.  They cheered and even got me a cake (I still have my brace and don't know what to do with it)!  

Because I continued to grow rapidly right up until I finally stopped growing, I outgrew my last brace about six months before I was done wearing it.  Instead of making me a brand-new brace to wear for half a year, they cut open and glued back together my current brace with spacers so I could continue to wear it.  It ended up being too wide, and by the end of my time in my brace I had contracted Mono as well,  so I lost a lot of weight and it was even bigger.  When my doctor saw the final product, he actually laughed at it and called it a "Frankenstein brace."

Frankenstein brace


During my time in my brace, I went through a crazy time in life, and had lots of fun, enjoyable times as well.  I loved all the funny looks I got from my brace and loved all the attention. I would wear pants or skirts over the brace and just the brace undershirt and my brace because of the panel over my stomach that velcroed onto my brace (you can see the velcro in the picture) that would rip my shirts apart. (The panel kept my rib cage from bulging out of the brace)

In 2014, I took a break from dancing and continued my life in a sad attempt to be normal.  Now I find no point in being normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment